On June 4, 2010, McDonald’s issued a recall of all of their Shrek Forever After™ glasses. It was found that the paint on the exterior of the glasses contain cadmium. It is important to note that the glass itself was not contaminated. Cadmium is a soft metal found in dirt. We all inhale microscopic amounts of this which doesn’t cause any harm. However, touching this metal in concentrated amounts is known to cause cancer, permanently lowers IQ in children, results in learning disabilities, causes kidney and bone damage. In addition, in children, the amounts of this toxin continue to accumulate in the kidneys over time, affecting children’s health more than adults. For more information, on cadmium, please see my post on February 22, 2010. Glasses previously sold at McDonald’s were not included in the recall.
As of June 9, 2010, the glasses can be returned for a refund of $3 per glass at any McDonald’s. For more information, go to www.mcdonalds.com/glasses or call them at 800-244-6227.